In April 2008,Charleston Animal Society,宠物助手and人性化网络eagerly joined the ASPCA Partnership,seeing it as an opportunity to bring needed resources to the organizations and build a more collaborative atmosphere for community change.Working together to shape a community vision,the Charleston partners delivered a 180-degree turnaround: In just four years,Charleston went from euthanizing two thirds of the community's animals to saving two thirds of the community's animals.他们才刚刚开始。
Watch the ASPCA Partnership in action in Charleston,SC.:
|Charleston Animal Society||宠物助手|
|2011 Targeted Spay/Neuter||8,631||三千五百二十|
*human population 2010
**Total intake for each individual partner includes animals transferred in from other partners
***人道网the third Charleston partner,不向我们报告他们的数据。
- Adoptions increased 60% in four years,from 2,939 in 2007 to 4,706 in 2011.
- In 2007,the live release rate (LRR) was 37.3% The Charleston partners have,so far,每年实现LRR目标：2009年达到45%；55% in 2010;2011年达到65%，力争达到75%。its final,项目年份。
- Spay/neuter surgeries increased 260% in four years,从2007年的3358年到2011年的12151年。
Challenges They Faced
Examining their combined data pre-partnership,the Charleston partners realized they had minimal foster care,针对性切除/中性化，TNR or comprehensive adoption programs.Programs existed,但在最低水平上运行。资源匮乏，2007年的社区人口数字说明了一个严峻的故事。
- 37.3% average LRR
- 45% LRR for dogs
- 17% LRR for cats
使用他们的2007年基线数据和ASPCA逻辑模型过程，the Charleston partners set LRR goals for each year and mapped a five-year strategic plan to help meet those goals:
- Comprehensive adoption initiatives and enhanced foster opportunities to increase LRR.
- Joint marketing programs to keep the community engaged.
- A comprehensiveFree-Roaming Cats Initiative减少越来越多的野猫进入庇护所。
- 查尔斯顿开发了全国最繁荣的免费漫游猫程序之一，which involves both Return-to-Colony and Return-to-Field initiatives--resulting in a jump in live release rates for adult cats from 17% in 2007 to 66% in 2011,and in increase in spay/neuter from less than 1,800 cats in 2007 to more than 6,300 felines in 2011.Read more about this program here.
- Community adoption events and marketing campaigns to increase adoptions.收养自2007年以来增长了60%。
- 北查尔斯顿动物控制中心在目标社区开展SPAY/NEUTER活动，providing pet owners with on-the-spot transport for intact dogs and cats to CAS' spay/neuter clinic.More than 200 pets each year have been sterilized through this program.
The Charleston partners attribute three key factors to their success:
- Pursuing a community-driven vision
- Using data to develop and measure strategies for success
- Being open to new ideas to save lives
"This partnership has brought our groups together to achieve more than we ever thought possible," says Cary Stout,北查尔斯顿警察局人道网主席和动物管制主管。
2012年底毕业后，查尔斯顿合作伙伴将继续向ASPCA提供未来五年的数据，并向ASPCA合作伙伴关系的新社区传授经验教训。They have already had several groups interested in their Free Roaming Cats Initiative,which they are eager to share with others.下一步将是持续进行的项目的可持续性，以确保持续的成果。
"We're a little nervous about stepping out on our own again,but we know the ASPCA will be there if we need them," says Elmore.“总的来说,我觉得我们的状态很好。”